POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look Server Time
6 Aug 2024 06:19:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look
From: Warp
Date: 2 Sep 2002 19:04:32
Message: <3d73ee80@news.povray.org>
> The user has selected how he wants his layout.

  By the way, that's one thing where you are wrong.
  Almost 100% of users do not select nor configure any layout-related things
in their browser, usually because they don't know how to do it even if they
wanted to do so (which they don't, almost without exception).
  If the page has nothing of what you define as layout, the user will simply
view it with the browser default interpretation. That's not a user-made
decision, it's what the browser offers him, whether or not the user would
want to see it in another way. Even if some browser allow the user to
modify the default layout, most of the users (almost 100% of them) simply
don't bother.
  Since most browsers have almost the same defaults for pages not containing
what you consider layout, it's not in fact a user-decision to view the page
as it is shown, but it's actually a decision of the maker of the page.

  So "the user has selected" is simply not true. The maker of the page
made the selection in behalf of the user (in almost 100% of the cases).

> See, you do not know the terms.  i replied to Warp about this including a
> refernce explaining it.  It is "structure".

  If I say something like <p class=indented>, that's structure as well,
according to your definition. It's a new structure element, and how it
should be interpreted is specified in the CSS file. You can specify that
this new structure element should work like the regular <p>, but the text
should be indented for example by 4 characters.

  The default set of "structure" elements in HTML are not always enough
for everything you would want to do. The great thing about CSS is that
you can define new structure elements and how they should be interpreted
by the browser.

  Now, you are probably against this as well (just by principle if nothing
else). However, it wouldn't make too much sense. If HTML would have
an "indented paragraph" element by default, you wouldn't complain about it.
However, now that we have a way to create this kind of element, you complain
about it.
  IMHO it's a great thing that instead of cluttering the HTML spec with
more and more new element tags, they made a way for the user to create new
element tags. I still can't see why this is a bad thing.